Jump to navigation
Noroff 3DDA - iameven.com
This is a recap of the works I made during my first year at Noroff taking the course 3D Design and Animation, or 3DDA for short. (Media heavy post).
We started with learning several modeling techniques, and lathe was one of the first. It's basically drawing half the outline of an object and letting the software take over to build the rest. So we created some chess peaces using this technique. The pawns and bishops on this set was created purely with lathe. The rooks, king and queen use lathe to start and then some poly modeling for the unique details. The knights were an optional task to get started with poly modeling.
We continued on poly modeling, where you position vertices in 3D space using different tools or individual draging and dropping. We create a power plug to learn about combining round shapes with edges.
I can't remember if we created the Lego bricks as a small assignement or just something we did for fun, because Lego bricks are fun.
We continued poly modeling and got into texturing by building some wooden toy trains. For some reason I got a Christmas mood even though this was only in September (I think). "God Jul!" means "Merry Christmas!".
I went a bit further and made an animation. For some reason I have 100 000 views on this:
I had to change the sound on Youtube due to copy right violation, but I kept the original file:
We created a teddy bear to learn more about softer and rounder shapes. In a separate assignment we had to texture it and make it our own. Yet again I took it a bit further and created some video game reference teddies. Hit bear being the one I actually delivered.
Getting into the poly modeling I started to create a head, and followed up with making some mechanical details to go on the inside.
Obligatory assignment 1
For the first big assignment at Noroff we recreated an actual environment. I chose the kitchen at home. I found it quite useful to have direct access to the environment I was building so I could study it in great detail. It was also brand new and good looking, which didn't hurt.
Here is the picture I used as a reference:
I also made a video to show the making of process:
I got some feedback on clutter in the image and how things looks better positioned in groups of three so in 2011 I did a cleanup and re-render.
Particles and other stuff
3ds max has a pretty impressive particle tool, and we went through setting up nodes and getting the particles to do stuff. These are more tests than anything else.
Obligatory assignment 2
The final assignment for our fall semester was to make a ride film, the idea being a moving camera and at least two environments. I got into the train theme and made a second train animation:
Key frame animation
We studied how light and heavy elements affect each other using the combination of a light ball hitting a heavy box, heavy ball hitting a light box and heavy ball hitting a heavy box.
Obligatory assignment 3
The third big assignment was to create a character, and I went with a female ninja, because I think both are cool. Ideally we were supposed to use these in an animation as well, but I never got around to that.
Obligatory assignment 4
For the final assignment we were to create a short film. My concept with the ninja was just too much work and the weather was too nice as well. So I sort of threw my opportunity away here and went for a total cliché in the animation world. A character struggling with a door. I made him really simple and added practically no environment.
Special interests section
For each obligatory assignment I had to write a report detailing ideas, challenges and solutions. I've uploaded them for safekeeping, but they are neither very interesting, nor well written (in Norwegian). They do hold some sentimental value for me since I made them as custom designed reports in HTML and CSS: